The 3rd Engineer works as part of the Chief Engineer’s team, providing assistance and support with the maintenance of key areas such as a yacht’s engine room.
The 3rd Engineer is typically a role for individuals in the earlier stages of their career who are looking to learn from the experience of the Chief and 2nd Engineer.
- Undertake engine room watch duties
- Engine room maintenance and cleanliness
- Learn about all onboard systems
- Work closely with the rest of engineering team to experience a wide range of onboard engineering tasks and projects
- Assist with deck duties when required
- Necessary qualifications
- Some prior engineering skills and experience with different systems e.g. mechanical, electrical, and so on
- Enthusiastic attitude towards learning
- Prior boating experience is beneficial
How much does a 3rd Engineer earn?
Rates for a 3rd Engineer on a yacht start at approximately 3000 EUR.
A third engineer on a large yacht is usually an Officer of the Watch which means an EOOW license would normally be sufficient for this position. In other cases the following may be sufficient:
- Yacht 3
- Second Engineer SV <3000GT & <9000kW CoC
- Yacht 4
Access our database of crew and jobs
Join our exclusive network of leading candidates and gain access to the best opportunities in the industry. We personally check every profile and every job, ensuring a high quality database for both crew and yacht owners.