For the most part, deckhands are an entry level role that do not require much in the way of experience or qualifications, although having either is an advantage!
Despite this, deckhands are an essential part of the crew on any yacht. Their responsibilities will be varied as they’ll be expected to pitch in with almost every aspect of life on the yacht, although their primary task is maintaining the exterior of the ship. As such, the role of a deckhand can be demanding, but they are well rewarded with plenty of experience and education working across many different areas, giving them the skills to pursue a career in any of the yacht’s departments; from engineering to stewarding, or even continuing their journey as a deckhand to eventually reach the level of Bosun.
- Keep the exterior of the ship clean and well maintained
- Painting, stripping, varnishing, waxing, and polishing of the ship
- Maintain all jet skis, toys and tenders
- Help out service staff when required
- Help keep the interior of the ship clean and well maintained when required
- Help with any ship restoration projects (including general carpentry)
- No qualification are necessary, but may be needed for driving tenders
- A can-do, positive attitude with a strong work ethic
- Willing to learn
- General seafaring experience and skills are beneficial but not necessary
- Any experience with the following is beneficial but not necessary: line handling, mechanical systems, engineering, painting and decorating
How much does a Deckhand earn?
For most, a role as a deckhand is typically their first aboard a yacht. Candidates in this position, with no prior experience, can expect around 2000 EUR a month, whereas more experienced deckhands typically command up to 3000 EUR a month.
A deckhand is an unlicensed position which would not require a commercial license. Some deckhands have no qualifications apart from the required STCW and ENG1. However, most will have at least a Powerboat Level II in order to operate tenders, and possibly a PWC certificate to operate jet skis.
Access our exclusive database
Join our exclusive network of leading candidates and gain access to the best opportunities in the industry. We personally check every profile and every job, ensuring a high quality database for both crew and yacht owners.