Electrical Technical Officer (ETO)
Focusing solely on the electrical systems on board, the Electrical Technical Officer (ETO) is a specialised role within the engineering department. This usually means ETO’s are only present on super yachts that necessitate a larger crew.
They answer to the Chief Engineer, and they’re responsible for the maintenance and repair of the ship’s electrical equipment; everything from vital systems like GPS and radar to entertainment such as music speakers and television screens.
- Maintain all electrical equipment
- Keep stock of all electrical inventory
- Work with the Chief Engineer to schedule and deliver planned maintenance on all electrical systems
- Necessary qualifications
- Plenty of experience and training with a wide range of electrical equipment and systems
- Ability to diagnose and resolve faults with electrical equipment and systems
- Extensive AV/IT knowledge
How much does an ETO earn?
A well qualified ETO can expect to earn a minimum of 4500 EUR per month, with the salary increasing depending on skillset and experience.
An ETO on a large yacht may require an ETO CoC and all ETO’s would ideally be working towards this goal. Generally speaking, ETO’s who are also involved with AVIT would have to have extensive knowledge of systems that are onboard yachts and may complete recognised courses to demonstrate this knowledge. Examples of these are as follows:
- Bond TM
- Just ETO’s VSAT and Satellite Television
- Just ETO’s Yacht AV and Control systems
Access our database of crew and roles
Join our exclusive network of leading candidates and gain access to the best opportunities in the industry. We personally check every profile and every job, ensuring a high quality database for both crew and yacht owners.