2nd Engineer Jobs
The 2nd Engineer works directly below the Chief Engineer, assisting with the maintenance and safety of the yacht and, in particular, the engine room. They are experts in troubleshooting and possess a wide range of engineering skills, with plenty of experience, in order to ensure the yacht remains in pristine working condition. They play a key role in the implementation of the Chief’s planned maintenance schedule, along with helping to train junior members of the engineering team.
- Engine room maintenance and cleanliness
- Continue to learn about all onboard systems in great detail
- Work closely with the Chief Engineer to carry out planned repairs and maintenance
- Help organise the engineering team
- Assist with deck duties when required
- Necessary qualifications
- Knowledge of all onboard systems
- Ability to diagnose and resolve engineering issues
- Experience with asset management systems is highly beneficial on modern vessels
- Experience working in shipyards is also highly beneficial
- Ability to train junior engineering staff
How much does a 2nd Engineer earn?
Rates for a 2nd Engineer on a yacht start at approximately 3500 EUR.
The qualification required depends on the power of the main engines onboard, and also whether the yacht is commercially registered or private. The largest yachts in the world, normally over 90 metres in length, will require a Second Engineer Unlimited license. For the majority of yachts, a Yacht 2, Yacht 3, SV Second Engineer or Engineer Officer of the Watch license will be sufficient. American flagged yachts will accept USCG licenses, but for the most part MCA recognised qualifications are the most desirable. For yachts below 3000kW, Yacht 4, MEOL, or AEC may be acceptable.
Access our exclusive database
Join our exclusive network of leading candidates and gain access to the best opportunities in the industry. We personally check every profile and every job, ensuring a high quality database for both crew and yacht owners.